Comments: Crossing the Andes on a dirt road

What a great adventure. I could almost smell the forest and hear the insects buzz. Glad to hear that you are still doing well.

Posted by Scott Cook at October 26, 2004 08:35 AM

WOW is all i reall can say right now. I'm planning on making a trip by car down into south america like you and have been searching hard for information on how to do it. Your entry of crossing the amazon into Peru is etraordianry and I am especially happy that it is so recent. I appreciate all the information you give on your web page and expect to hear from me in the future. Thanks again.
Scott

Posted by Scott Munroe at November 26, 2004 01:32 PM

Though I'm in Venezuela right now, we appreciate your advice and wish you good luck on the rest of your journey!

www.guariquito4x4.com webmaster
member 09

Posted by Luis Aranguren at January 2, 2005 06:20 PM

hey, A really intresting trip and you are certainly quite a writer.

You won't remember me but we talked for about 3 hours in Nazca where you sent me to school on economics and politics of south America. Very enjoyable.

I only just found your card having lost it in between all the other life saving things i had bought.

Glad i did, really interesting site.

All the best.

Ian

Posted by Ian at March 28, 2005 07:32 PM

Tony:Acabo de leer parte de tu viaje y la verdad que es una pena no haberlo hecho antes y que me cuentes mas detalles en persona.
OK.Tony y Clair les deseamos lo mejor para el resto del viaje. Un abrazo de todos nosotros
Sandra, Melanie, Eros, Gianluca, Jano y Tato

Posted by Tato at March 30, 2005 02:53 AM

hi there,

helpful story.

I have a quick question with which I feel you maybe able to provide me with some advice,

i'm about to travel from rio, brazil to lima, peru.

i'm thinking bout flying from rio de janerio - rio branco (451Reals)

then

puero Maldonado - lima (295reals)

the only thing ive gotta work out is how to get from rio branco to puerto maldonado

do u have any idea if there are buses etc.. that travel this route? also what the conditions would be like at this time of year?

any info, it would be greatly appreciated,

Posted by robbie at May 13, 2005 03:00 PM

Hey Tony;
It's been months since I've checked your progress and I'm blown away by your nerve crossing the Amazon and the Andes by SUV. Years ago I drove with a friend from Paraty to Belo Horizonte through the costal mountains...we had to sketch a road map from the tourist bureau and it was crap. How we got there in one piece I don't know (our car was hit by lightening on the way). What you guys just did is really incredible. I'll try to back-track through some of the postings and see what you've encountered. Life in the USA is getting creepier by the day. But on a good note: Tom Delay was arrested in Houston for money laundering and other nefarious crimes.
Take care